Week 7- the week that surprised me

I don't know what happened but this was a great week-the best week to date and I completely forgot about being on lockdown.  I actually enjoyed spending extra time with my kids this week.

Rocks add to the fun but also to the scrapes and tears of a 5 year old
I have always struggled when my kids were home because having a hubby who works shift work I was usually alone on weekends fighting the battle of the screens, refereeing fights, nagging about chores, trying to get stuff done and feeling guilty that we weren't out doing fun family activities.  That is a lot of stress to carry!  

However somewhere during these seemingly everlasting Covid-schooling days these issues have become almost non-existent.  We are in enough of a loose routine that the kids do their chores without issue, know when screentime is and adhere to it without argument, and have become proficient in entertaining themselves which makes for less fighting.  Now that they are off everday we can do family activities and spend time together when hubby is not working.  I always believed that it was good for kids to be bored but was always too afraid to go through the withdrawal period until I was forced into it.  I am amazed what time and less structure has done for us.

But I will admit that I may not be feeling this way if it were dark and cold.  I recognize that a HUGE part of this great week was the weather which was hot and sunny and Manitoba is opening up of which we took full advantage!  We went water-skiing, went to the beach, played tennis everyday, and had another birthday which we celebrated with a trip to the Forks.  What is not to love?!


Really should look this up to know what it is called at the Forks 
but it was some sort of neat outdoor amphitheatre!

this bridge is I think where the Red River and the Assiniboine River intersect
(I did a Google search but can't seem to find quick answers so my guesses are all 
we have until I return sans children and have time to read plaques
 instead of trying to keep them from jumping in the river)

It's a good day if we find a train!

Our first meal out in months :)

We love a good Smart Sweet fish cake!  
(Was so busy buying the fish I forgot to buy candles #momfail 
but luckily he didn't care because he loves the fish #momwin)
My oldest son told me that he thinks we are closer as a family now and as I reflected on that I realized that he is right because normally the kids go to school, come home and do an activity, homework, screen time and then bed.  We rarely have time to spend together and usually we aren't talking much as we are all busy other than at dinner time when we make an effort to sit down together as a family.  I know this realization is a common theme among self-isolationists but I always thought we actually did actually spend a lot of time together but now I realize it wasn't so much quality time.

Surprised to learn that the kids love tennis and want to go every day!
An easy activity for us since we can walk, no one is ever there and it is free!

Even better when your 5 year old volunteers to chase and collect the balls!
Chalk is a side hobby during tennis time.

I also am really enjoying not making school lunches, not having to get everyone up, ready and out the door in the mornings.  And we even got a little bit of Covid-schoolwork done!

Don't get excited this was only one productive day, the rest were a write off.

Comments